Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Huge Project Underway

I've been thinking about blogging lately - except my old computer doesn't have the internet and I've been on it scanning my life away. I'd thought constantly about scanning all of my old family photos. Every time a client brings one in of a lost loved one, or an old beat up photo - I think to myself - why don't I do that? I started this project back in 2007 - and then my computer crashed. The few hours I'd spent that summer scanning were lost...back to square one I go. About three weeks ago I went home and started gathering photos. So far, out of about 10 boxes, I've scanned 7 - I still have one box to sort through, and 5 albums to pick apart. Whoever invented "magnetic albums" - I hate you - HATE YOU! I hope you're family photos are stuck in there FOREVER. Sorry - had to vent. Bare with me, I'm sure that's only the start of venting.

One of my favorite pieces I've found ---

My Maternal Grandparents Wedding Announcement.

I barely new my Grandma Mary, and never got to meet either Grandpa (Charlie or Arlis) - so this project has been my link to their lives. I know my Grandpas would have spoiled me to pieces. I know I get some of my wise cracks from my Grandpa Arlis - I can tell by his smile how ornery he was.


This is a picture of my Grandpa Arlis when he was about 4. This was my first image that I restored.

I'm not only restoring images, I'm sizing them to 5x7s and 4x6s in case other family members ever want a copy. I'm also categorizing them into families - Nichols/Sprague and Troutman/Nichols. And then chronological order. This is a huge undertaking. So far, I've finished about 225 images out of the 1000+ I've scanned. (And still more to scan). It's so hard to not pick and choose - I want to have them all. I'm a picture hoarder. They're my most prized and favorite possessions.

I love all of the pictures of my big brothers when they were little - they remind me of Cole and Cason.


Jeremy & Joshua when they were about 3 years and 5 1/2 months


Cole almost 3 and Cole 9 months

What really started all this - besides my want to - was to restore my parents wedding pictures. Married almost 40 years ago, the images are yellowing and of poor quality. The picture they used for the paper was out of focus and my mom didn't know it til the other day. There was a sign behind my dad that I removed and increased the sharpness - as well as many other tricks.

I can't upload the before because it's a .tiff file - so here is the after :)



My mom was only 17 and dad 19 when they were married. June 5th, 2011 - marks their 40th anniversary - stay tuned for party or trip plans - whatever we can figure out. I'll post more images when I can.

Quick update - my dad is feeling better after his stroke this last Saturday. He has a blood clot in the back of his brain and it's affecting his sight. He's on plavix - which I believe is a blood thinner. Hopefully it'll clear up within the next few months.

xoxoxo - Amy

1 comment: