Wednesday, June 29, 2011

{Future PGA Pro}

On Monday, June 13, 2011 - I was lucky enough to be home when Cole was invited to play in the Junior PGA Tournament at Crestview Country Club. My brother, Josh, is the 2nd superintendent at Crestview and is in charge of keeping the north course looking it's best. This tournament is usually held in August, but they decided to move it up along with the Wichita Open in hopes of it being cooler. Well, it's Kansas. And Summer. Being cooler was not a factor - it was nice and toasty until the last 2 holes when storm clouds rolled in.

Uncle Josh O., Cason, Cole, and Uncle Josh T.

Cole was the youngest player in the entire tournament. One kid couldn't make it so the guy running it asked Josh the Wednesday before if he knew of anyone. Cole was nervous as could be at the beginning. He didn't want to warm up - but once both Uncle Joshs were there the nerves eased up a bit. He knew he was the youngest. The tournament was for 10-18 - and since he just turned 9, being the youngest got the best of his nerves.
Cole got a head cover for being the youngest player.

When I first saw Cole that day - he goes "You're not going to take 300 pictures are you?" (At the last tournament he played in, the Wellington Parent Child - I took 300 pictures of him, Cason, Dad, & Jeremy). Jokingly I said "No, I'm going to take 800, is that ok?" - He blushed and I laughed. Well, this Aunt Amy is a VERY PROUD aunt. I'm not ashamed of getting out my big camera for any of their sporting events. I've taken all of my equipment to their football, basketball, and baseball games. Why would I not here? One of the other dads that was following this group had a nice point and shoot -- but nothing compared to me. It was kinda funny. I'm not ashamed to get out my 5D and my 200mm telephoto lens. Cole had 8 people following him that day, me, Uncle Josh T & O, Grandma Carol, his mom & dad, Cason, and his Aunt Kim. We're a proud family :)Grandma Carol, Cole, Amy, and Cason


Jeremy and Cole right before he teed off.

Cole on hole 14

Cole made two puts that were amazing! The pro that was with their group was trying to help him with a put, and said, "It's going to break to the right". Cole goes "no, it's straight on". And well, it was. His face lit up - he knew he was right and proved he could play.

Uncle Josh, Jeremy, and Uncle Josh clapping right after Cole made the put on hole 14.

They started on the back nine, so Uncle Josh T. told him, at least you get to finish in front of the big stands (on 17 & 18). When we got there, the pro (I don't remember his name) asked Josh if he wanted to get behind and take a picture. Josh goes, no, I brought a professional. I laughed because earlier when we were on 10 - Jeremy looks at me and goes "Good, you brought your camera". I always have some type of camera.

Hole 17
Cason waiting on hole 17 -- I no longer have to say smile or cheese with Cason. I point my camera and instant smile :)

Cason & Cole after the tournament & awards. Cole gave Cason his hat and Cole got the last small shirt there was - the lady said she had one left, so Amy gently pushed him up there and said "get it" -- it was too funny.

I loved every moment of this tournament. Watching my nephews grow up breaks my heart, I wish they could stay little forever. Seeing them grow does make me happy, but sad at the same time. I'm really going to miss them when they move to Kentucky but can't wait to go visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment